Thursday, September 16, 2010

Legend Kenny Dalglish has admitted he wanted to replace Rafael Benitez before the appointment of Roy Hodgson. Dalglish was player-manager at Anfield between 1985 and 1991 and was the last man to bring the league title to the club. The 59-year-old felt the time was right for Benitez to leave Liverpool and has revealed he put himself forward to replace the Spaniard at the helm. However Liverpool rejected Dalglish's overtures and moved instead for former Fulham chief Hodgson to take charge at Anfield - and the Scot admits he was disappointed to be overlooked for the job. Dalglish writing in his new book - 'Dalglish in his own words' - said: "It was right for everybody that Rafa Benitez left - for him and for Liverpool Football Club. There just comes a stage in every manager's career when the board says, 'You've been good for the club but we feel it would be best if you go'. Sometimes it works the same way for a manager - 'I've done my time. There's no animosity but it's time to have a go somewhere else'. When it was clear Rafa was going, Christian Purslow asked me to get involved in the selection process for the next manager. I had to let them (the board) know my real views. I wanted the job. I couldn't miss the opportunity. One day, I was in a meeting with Christian and the chairman, Martin Broughton, and I formally put my name forward. 'We don't want you, Kenny', came the reply from Christian and the chairman. Fine. That's their ­prerogative. They explained they had different plans for me, a position with greater longevity."

No comments:

Post a Comment